Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Diabetes attacked my family!



Recently my husband fell very, very ill. We did not know what was wrong with him. Brother B (as he is affectionately known) is a Personal Fitness Trainer, who exercises daily and has always been in great shape. Never sick with anything more than an occasional cold or maybe sinus problem, he is a picture of health. Over the past few months he had gained weight, but no one thought anything about it.
Then, it began... He was feeling tire and excessively thirsty. His appetite went away and he lost 30 pounds in about two weeks. There was a foul odor on his breathe and my wonderful mother decided to come over and take his blood glucose level. It was over 600! We went to the doctor the next morning and of course, it was the Big "D" - Type 1 Diabetes.
He was put on four insulin shots per day and an oral medication. His diet had to change and all the family as well. It took two weeks after the initial diagnosis to regain a sense of normalcy and to balance his glucose level.
All "white" foods had to be iliminated, including our weekly Shabbat Challah! Oh my, what that did to our Torah observant, shabbat keeping, bread eating family. I went on a quest to find an alternative whole wheat Challah that I could make in my bread machine. HalleluYAH, I found an alternative.
All of our pasta is now whole wheat and we love it. My children enjoy eating in our new manner and I feel as if I am giving everyone the best that I can. The Torah gives us a blue print for healthy eating and I am following it.
In my research I found several natural herbs that are historically used for the treatment of diabetes. Gymnema Sylvestre is the one that I started my husband on immediately and now he is down to one insulin shot per day. I say Todah to YHWH daily for His mercy and insight into the herbs of the field.

(Psa 104:14) He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;

No comments:

Post a Comment